Tuesday, December 13, 2011

More

I woke up at 4.30am today. I could never go back to sleep once I am up, so I have learnt from past experience that I should just wake up and start the day. Waking up so early does have its advantages - there is time to chill, time for myself, and time to write.

One thing I have been thinking about lately can be summarised into one sentence: the more you get, the more you want. Take for example, clothes. The more clothes you have/get/own/shop for, the more you want to get more clothes. It is like a vicious cycle and the next thing you know you have this overflowing wardrobe/closet. I know because I used to fall into this category. Maybe I still do, but I know that I have stopped shopping for a while now. Not because I cease liking shopping, more because I don't have time to indulge in shopping. Or perhaps, it is better put as me being too lazy to browse the stores. The physical, real-life stores that is. I do browse a lot of online stores. And as some of you may know from online browsing, you have to scrutinise every little bit of detail. I said no to a lot of things more than I say yes. I have become a lot more pedantic when it comes to my clothes as I get older. The fit has to be perfect. I am obsessed with fit a lot more these days. I have no hesitation tossing/donating my clothes that do not fit perfectly.

I can just feel that I am going to make a trip down to the tailor so that he/she can perform alterations to my blazers. I think for the longest time I wear blazers that are too baggy around the torso. What can I say - I have wide shoulders. Yes I love them, and I also want to wear clothes that fit well, thank you very much. And yes, it is difficult to accommodate both the shoulders and the waist. Yes, I know that I can wear a belt, and not everything can be belted.

I have to be extremely ruthless when it comes to culling my wardrobe. In fact, I feel like doing it right now, if not for someone who is currently snoring in the bedroom. Come to think of it, the more I cull, the more I want to let go.

This is such a first world problem, isn't it. The problem of excess. Why is it so difficult to say no to things that only marginally add value to our lives? Why is it so difficult to say no to things that often end up draining value of our lives? The more clothes one has, the harder it is to dress in the morning - well, at least, this is what I found to be true. I can dress better when I have a more streamlined wardrobe with clothes that fit properly. I receive a lot of compliments wearing this dress - so why don't I wear it again since I know that I look good. Do people notice that I am wearing the same thing? Maybe. I hope they also notice that I look good. Tee hee.

I don't have any tips or whatever when it comes to doing this (having a streamlined wardrobe) - I am still largely struggling myself. The only 'rule' I go by is this: only wear the things you love. Life is too short for things that do not meet your standards. I am not a minimalist, I am waaayyy off from being a minimalist. I am not sure I want to become a minimalist either. I just think that is not what I want. Yes, I do love to travel the world, I am just not sure I want to do with with 10 pieces of clothing that can fit into a small bag pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment