Sunday, February 26, 2012

A case for working

I went to work this morning and lasted the whole day, getting used to the pain in my neck and shoulder. If I don't move my head around I am fine; if I turn around then the pain hits. The good news is that I feel so much better today compared to yesterday. I think work sort of does that to me.

One of the things that I dislike is this thing in the Bible that says that work is a curse. I mean, I might have understood it wrongly, Genesis 3:17 anyone? Clearly these days, some people are free from this curse because they are able eat without working, and they eat so much so that they become obese. Yes, that comes with its own set of challenges, but you get my point. These days, there are people who manage to eat without work and because they don't work, they have nothing to do, so all they do is eat and eat and eat until they become so fat that they can't stop.

No offence to anyone but I would rather die than become fat. I am not that skinny either, but I work hard for my body, especially since I love eating. But just because I love eating does not mean I can indulge endlessly. I am a firm believer that discipline is one of the key ingredients to beauty. Discipline takes a lot of work. So if you work, you get results - good results most of the time (the rest of the time you get fantastic results ok). If you don't work, you deal with the often unpleasant unintended consequences.

Khalil Gibran sums it the best:
Always you have been told that work is a curse and labour a misfortune.
But I say to you that when you work you fulfil a part of earth's furthest dream, assigned to you when that dream was born,
And in keeping yourself with labour you are in truth loving life,
And to love life through labour is to be intimate with life's inmost secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment