Thursday, February 16, 2012

Are you a good child?

I love my parents to bits but they also drive me insane. I think this is more a side effect of living away from them. It is like, seriously, when you only see each other once a year and then you end up spending the next 7 days 24/7 together all day everyday, you are bound to get into each other's skin. This time around I try extra hard so that I don't get into my dad's nerve. I try so hard not to aggravate him. Because if I can be the perfect child in at least 5 days of the year, then I think I can live with that. It is, in all likelihood, unrealistic and definitely twisted thinking on my part, but I really really really can't help it.

In all honesty, I cannot imagine life any other way. I cannot imagine not living the life that I live now and if someone were to tell me that this is not the life I am meant to live in, then I guess I must be pretty screwed. I can understand that a lot of people would not approve of this, but guess what - this floats my boat for now. So if you don't like it, then that's too bad.

I don't normally say this, but I reckon I do a pretty good job in navigating all the crazy borderline psychotic responses that I tend to have on my head on anything and everything that is not going the way I foresee it. If I have to explain to every single person that when you have more than two parents, you just cannot help calling the rest as mum and dad - and the line between biological and non-biological relationship does get blurred - which is not necessarily a bad thing. When you try so hard to make things work, not because someone else is forcing you too, but rather because of mutual respect (given freely, unlike trust, which has to be earned), then you realise that just because you love someone does not mean that you love the others less. Love is not a zero-sum game. You are allowed to love someone and you don't need to ask for permission to love someone. You can just love and expect nothing in return. And when you get love back, then it is mutual respect and understanding in its highest form. That is when you can truly wish the best for that person.

When life gives you the chance to do this, what else can you do if not grab it by the horns and run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment