Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Ultimate Sloth

In a few hours I would be flying back to Sydney. I have been spending the past few days in Queensland and Byron Bay, basically, taking a holiday. I am the ultimate sloth when I am on holidays. I don't do make up. I don't do my nails (and now I am dying to have a manicure!). I don't want to do anything. I want to sleep as much as I can and eat as much as I can. I don't want to do anything else. I guess I don't mind internet shopping, but despite browsing extensively, have not bought anything just yet. The weather has been exceptionally beautiful, the sun shining everyday. The nights were cold but the house that we are staying in has central heating (!!) so I am deeply thankful. Food has been fantastic and two nights in a row, I am fortunate to have someone cooked for me and doing the dishes. It has been a very nice, very relaxing long weekend.

This place is quite literally in the middle of no where. If you don't drive, then you are basically toast. I realise how spoilt I have been, living right smack in the middle of the city where I can walk everywhere I want to. I paid the price for my lifestyle and it is ok because I enjoy it very much. I miss Sydney whenever I have been away from it. There are so many things there that I take for granted. I think it is partially because home is in Sydney these days. Yet even if my home is not in Sydney, I have a feeling that I would still miss it just as much.

One of the things that I am most thankful for in my life is the fact that I can do most of the things I want to, no explanation needed. I don't need to justify my choices to anyone. I don't need to explain myself to anyone. Sometimes people ask, and depending on who they are and what the questions are, I may or may not answer. It is not that I don't want to share, or connect, it is just that from past experience with some people, the reason they are asking is not because they want to connect, but because they have unsolicited advices that they feel I should follow. Overtime, I learn to ignore these people, and in the interest of keeping peace, actually ask them what they wanted to say, listen, nod and call it a day.

I am happy to be on holidays, and I am happy to return to Sydney and resume my daily grind. There are definitely certain aspects of my life that I miss quite a lot, and maybe in my next holiday, I can try to be less of a sloth than I am in this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment